This is a very basic and simple amigurumi ball pattern. There are many like it out there. There’s nothing special about it except that it is a blank canvas! Use your imagination and turn it into sports balls, faces, juggling balls, whatever you can think of! Use a solid color and stitch on designs, or change colors along the way to give it stripes. This is a good pattern to keep around as it can come in handy for lots of projects.
Finished size is about softball-sized, 4.5″ in diameter, depending on how tightly you crochet and how much you stuff.
If you want to make a smaller ball, use a smaller hook and/or thinner yarn. If you want to make a bigger ball, use a larger hook and thicker yarn.
A couple of disclaimers: This pattern is intended for personal use only. You are welcome to use the pattern to make and sell products, to keep for yourself, or to give away as gifts. I would appreciate receiving credit and a link back to the site, however. Please do not republish or distribute the pattern in any way, or use my photos in your listings.
I am not a robot, so if you find any typos, errors, or places that need clarification, please let me know so that I can fix my mistakes or explain things differently. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this crochet pattern. If you have any questions or comments you can leave them below OR email me at email@example.com OR through the contact page on this site. I’d also love to see your finished creations! 🙂
Worsted Weight (4) Yarn
G/6 4.25mm Hook
Sl st- Slip stitch
HDC-Half Double Crochet
2HDC-Half Double Crochet Increase, Do 2 HDC in same stitch to increase.
HDC2TOG- Half Double Invisible Decrease- yarn over, insert hook up through front loop of next two stitches, yarn over, pull through both front loops, yarn over, pull through three loops on hook, invisible decrease made.
Note: This is worked in a continuous round. You will not join. You should use a stitch marker to keep track of your rounds. I usually just use a scrap piece of yarn.
1) Using the Magic Ring technique (OR Ch 3 and join with a sl st to first ch to form a loop) HDC 7. (7)
2) 2HDC in each around. (14)
3) *HDC in next, 2HDC in next* Repeat from * to * around. (21)
4) *HDC in next 2, 2HDC in next* Repeat from * to * around. (28)
5) *HDC in next 3, 2HDC in next* Repeat from * to * around. (35)
6) *HDC in next 4, 2HDC in next* Repeat from * to * around. (42)
7-12) HDC in each stitch around. (42)
13) *HDC in next 4, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. (35)
14) *HDC in next 3, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. (28)
15) *HDC in next 2, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. (21)
16) *HDC in next, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. (14)
STUFF with polyfil
17) HDC2TOG around. (7)
Leave tail, sew hole shut.
I add on some black and green stitches and turn this plain white ball into a paranoid android head! Marvin from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. He’s so fun and simple!